Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stuff Christians Like

I'm reading an absolutely hysterical piece of literature right now called "Stuff Christians Like" by Jonathan Acuff, and I have to say, I LOVE the sarcasm and tongue in cheek look into the culture of Christendom here in the 21st century. There are such insights as how to break up with your small group, the four "positions" of worship, how to properly administer a side hug, etc...

This book got me laughing and it also got me thinking: Why can't we look at ourselves every once in awhile and realize that just like the rest of the world, we can be ridiculous, judgmental, quirky, humorous and sometimes just devoid of self awareness? I look at my life a lot more with each passing day and I realize that I'm extremely flawed, and that God loves me in spite of that. I gaze into society and I see a people that are for the most part trying to do the right thing, and that in itself isn't bad at all. In fact, sometimes society tends to be way more loving, compassionate and honest than the Christian world, but the only difference is WHO.

WHO are you living for? I would say that our culture promotes that we should live for ourselves and our own self worth and happiness, and that's a VERY attractive idea, but honestly, I want to live for something MUCH BIGGER than me. I want to passionately pursue the calling of God so that hopefully when I look at my life in retrospect, I see a messy, quirky, sometimes ridiculous guy that was at least TRYING to follow the call of God in his life.

We need to take a look at ourselves, church, and realize that we don't have it l together, and that we are missing a vast amount of answers, but the remedy and the answer to a society that is questioning is sincerity and most importantly love!!! It's good to take a fun, honest, even sarcastic look into our own lives to see how the world really does view us, because it gives us a vantage point and a clarity that can help us be more loving and compassionate!!

Blessings,

travis

No comments:

Post a Comment