Monday, March 16, 2009

Chasing...

"I will never stop chasing
I will never stop running after You."-Jared Anderson

I love the action that is implied in this simple statement! More importantly, I love the picture that we are called to in these words. We are to never stop chasing! We are to always do EVERYTHING we can to know more about who we believe and why we believe it. It doesn't say I will chase after You and then when I find you I'll stop. It's a constant, lifelong journey of trying to figure out who God is and how that relates to how we live.

One piece of advice: Don't believe your own hype. I speak from experience friends. We can get the idea that we have things figured out because of minor accomplishments in our life and it can cause us to stagnate and fester and it robs us of a growing relatiosnsip with our beliefs. When you think you've got it figured out, you most assuredly do not!

The point of chasing isn't to catch something. It's the fight, the struggle, the worn down pursuit of reaching out for something that will ultimately stretch you and help you grow. This isn't a game of tag because the required goal isn't to catch your beliefs, its to realize that in order to mature and grow we must ALWAYS chase after the truth.

I like the picture of running as well because it means you are passionately seeking. Have you ever known someone that seems to walk after their beliefs. They aren't really interested in chasing they just want to go through the motions for the sake of looking like they are trying. That's sadly an accuarate picture of many Christ followers.

Stop walking friends, RUN-CHASE- GROW!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was 25 when it took some pretty rough times to wake me up. I realized I wasn't even so much as "walking." I was sitting there believing what I was told. Whatever came from the Pastor's mouth, I believed. Whatever came from my family's mouth, I believed. Suddenly, I realized that many of the ideas I was taught weren't Truth at all. They were a bunch of man-made attempts......and honestly I have no idea what they were attempting to do. Seem "holier?" We know that isn't possible. We aren't holy, period. We are a mess, a tangled web of sin. Suddenly, that fateful winter, I understood that I had to start over. I began to CHASE.

    The more you chase, the more you desire the things you find along the way. The more I began to examine "why do I believe in God?," the more I found and the deeper I dug....or faster I ran...however we want to use the analogy. You run, you chase, and you thirst. It's a fantastic journey that allows us to truly begin to use our legs and our arms. Our legs are what help us chase, and our arms are what drag someone along for the ride. Like that game of tag when you were a kid, full of life, full of surprises.

    AHHHHHHHH, great topic Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome post! For once we agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great details Chrisi, and Michelle, I'm so happy we agree:) But even if we didn't, you know I love ya'.

    ReplyDelete