Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why so serious?

I absolutely love the people I get to work with on a daily and weekly basis!!! Whether that be the church staff at Grace Community Church or the worship team that I get the privilege of leading:) Not only do they possess amazing talent and beautiful hearts, but they also possess something that I think is necessary to make it through this world: A Sense of Humor!!!

I've been in numerous situations where i was with "Church" people, and even the thought of cracking a smile or quoting a silly movie would have made them uncomfortable and worse, probably caused judgmental thoughts. I have no problem with how anyone lives their life, but may I make a suggestion on how to improve it: LAUGH!!!

Church people especially need to laugh! Not only at the every day funny things, but at ourselves, because I think deep down we all know we aren't perfect and we have some really funny quirks about us. The Bible calls us pecuilar people, so don't shy away from it. Stop trying to be so prim and proper that you miss the point of the gospel-Jesus came they we may live. Yes that means eternally, but it also means in the here and now. I'm not saying go out and get plastered and get a drunk driving ticket, there is, of course, some discretion involved. But go out and do something intentionally for the purpose of laughing.

Watch a funny movie, engage in a conversation with friends that ends up with you on the floor rolling, go to You Tube and find some funny clips or comedians. Here's a few suggestions: Jim Gaffigan is a riot, as is Demetri Martin.

I guess the point is we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously because we really are just a very small grain of sand on a vast ocean beach. Might as well enjoy the water every once in a while right? If all else fails, picture me trying to run a sprint-it's hysterical-My college soccer coach referred to my running style as a "retarded gazelle." Now that's funny!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Big Gulps, huh? All right... Well, see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swanso....Swanson....

    Check the briefcase.

    Oh Samsonite I was WAY off!!! Started with an S though.

    ReplyDelete