Saturday, March 14, 2009

Empowering and Unleashing...

I reference the church I grew up in A LOT! I do that because it was my first real experience in the American Evangelical Church movement. I attended a Southern Baptist Church in Moore, OK for 18 years(Birth to graduation of high school). Obviously I don't remember the first few years of that experience at all, but I can recollect a vast amount of experiences from my formative years that involved that congregation.

I do remember that there were some great things about that body of believers. My parents had some wonderful people who were their friends that they met at church and we loved being around them and still do to this day when we return to Moore for a visit. I also remember getting to play sports for the church and having my dad coach me(I loved it and wouldn't trade those days for anything). I remember certain Sunday School teachers that impacted me in a very loving way.

But just like every church, it has its flaws as well. No church is perfect because it is set up by human beings, and we are fallible. All of us are going to screw up a lot!!!

Probably the biggest problem I had with my parents church was the fact that we were told what to believe. There was no wiggle room at all, and if you disagreed or even questioned the teachings from the pastor(Who was still just a fallible person), you were either looked down upon or viewed as spiritually ignorant. I'm not saying every Southern Baptist or Evangelical church is like this, but what I am saying is that there is a trend in church that scares me. People are constantly being told what to believe!

THE CHURCH'S JOB IS NOT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO BELIEVE, IT'S THEIR JOB TO EMPOWER YOU TO GO SEEK OUT WHAT YOU BELIEVE AND HELP YOU ON YOUR SEARCH TO REALIZE WHY YOU BELIEVE IT!

The church, for the most part, has failed in this area. It has a reputation for telling people exactly what to believe and what the Christian Life looks like as opposed to providing opportunities for people to dive in, struggle and wrestle with who they are called to be and what that would look like. When you own your own faith, you grow constantly and appreciate it more because you personally had to realize why you believe what you believe. It's not your parents faith or your church's faith, it's YOUR faith!

I feel blessed to be on staff at the church I'm at. The Head Pastor is a humble and wonderful teacher, and he says quite frequently that he can't give people what they need. He can be used by God to give them a taste, and allow them to taste the goodness and find out who made the recipe.

Own your own faith friends-It's what makes life REAL and transparently relatable to your existence!!!

6 comments:

  1. Travis, you said "it's not the church's job to tell you what to believe." I've deleted a few sentences trying to decide whether or not I agree with that statement. I think the very foundation of the church has to be set in Biblical Truth. Then, the Pastor needs to convey what that Truth is. While he does that, he also needs to convey what the enemy would have us believe is truth. All along the way, setting the guidelines for what it means to be a "Christ Follower." If we do as Christ did, we must examine the do's and dont's of the foundation of Christianity. Historical, Biblical, Christianity. THEN, the relationship portion is what remains between us and God. What we do with that information is our own choice, yes, but the church has a moral obligation to lay down that foundation. If they didn't tell us what Truth was, where to find it, etc....we'd end up making our own guidelines for who God is and what Christianity is. Kind of like some of the world religions have, or people who have molded God to fit their needs rather than molding to who God created them to be.

    I hope that makes sense. Maybe I should introduce myself tomorrow? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recently talking to a friend about this very same thing.

    I feel the same way - that I was told what to believe and that's why I believed it. So now, after 22 years of following Christ, I've found myself on a journey to discover what I believe and why I believe it.

    But I'm not totally convinced the church we grew up in did anything wrong so much as I am convinced that spiritual maturity comes over time and depth of insight into the Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shannon that spiritual maturity comes with age, but I also whole heartedly support Travis' call to personal faith. I see too many McChristians these days with no self awareness, no critical thinking skills, and only dogma(I used to be one). Regardless of your beliefs, if you don't know why you believe what you do, then you're not there yet. I think spirituality should involve some wrestling and struggling. And the comment about enemies, all I can say is yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, you are right on! Are you referring to my comment about the enemy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. enemy=Satan just so you know......:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,

    Thanks for the wisdom and clarity on your points,I agree that we must wrestle with our beliefs to realize why we support them, and Chrisi I agree there needs to truth as a foundation for whatever your belief system is:) Great points friends:)

    ReplyDelete