Monday, March 23, 2009

The Good of Not Knowing...

"The Good of not knowing..."-Dallas Willard

Seems like a weird quote and almost one of misinformation doesn't it? I want to challenge you that this philosophy can change your life in the most amazing way!!!

What it doesn't mean: It doesn't mean we shouldn't fervently seek after our beliefs and try to grow daily towards knowing all we can about who or what we believe in:) We need to always be chasing after why we believe what we believe so we can live and respond accordingly.

But sometimes things don't make sense do they? Whether you believe in God or not, there are things that just don't make sense. I previously posted that to make it through this world you have to believe in paradox. It's simply a necessity in this world whether it be Christianity, physics or basic biology, paradox exists!!!

So how do we reconcile our thoughts to things that happen that seem odd or even oppositional to reason, rationale or normalcy? This is obviously my opinion, but I think it's the very nature of God. I think we want to know everything and when we can't figure out the why or how we get frustrated and tend to get angry or overly confused.

May I suggest another approach? Let it go.... Being in control isn't all that it's cracked up to be:) Sometimes things happen because they happen and we can never fully know why or how, but we can find rest in knowing its beyond our control. It's a GOOD thing that we don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about God, because if we did, HE WOULDN'T BE GOD!!!

I will never be able to wrap my head around so many things that are a part of this world, so how could I possibly begin to remotely understand God? That sounds intimidating, but I truly can see glimpses of Him and those glimpses cange who I am and how I view life. When we actively seek after our beliefs we catch a glimpse that validates and moves us to a new place in our journey.

I don't claim to be a scholar, heck, I don't even claim to be bright-haha, but I do know that sometimes here is beauty in not knowing, and I'd like to challenge you to recognize that as well. It's life changing!

3 comments:

  1. For once I have to disagree. The let it go mentality is akin to the "faith" that allows Christians to believe some absurd things like man lived alongside dinosaurs. It's true that paradox exists and even science can't explain everything, but we should not be reconciling our thoughts with things that seem oppositional to reason or rationale. That's scary talk. Life is a process of reevaluating in the face of new evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i may have come across wrong, I agree with you friend, that just accepting something or reconciling something with opposiyional thoughts is dangerous and lazy and very SCARY!!! haha Thanks for pointing that out:) You rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about letting go, in fact, almost daily I hear God's voice saying "let it go." If I just weren't so darn stubborn things could be a little easier...sigh...

    ReplyDelete