Friday, March 13, 2009

Layers...

For those of you who have never had the chance to do studio recording work in music, I just want to tell you. It's a blasty blast!!! It's very differen than what it used to be, and more importantly, it's a lot different than what it is potrayed to be in cinema or television. It's a lot of TEDIOUS but beautifully rewarding work. It's the creative process at it's most resolute:)

The key is layers! You lay down scratch tracks, which are essentially your vocals accompanied by an instrument. Mind you, these will not even be on the final mix, but you do it so you can start building a foundation from the ground up. Next you lay down your basic drum tracks, followed by your bass tracks. Once this is completed you havea rhythm section backdrop that you can now canvas over with creativity and hit and miss programming. Whether it be acoustic or electric guitar, keyboards, alt. percussion or vocals. The sky's the limit!!!

I view my relationship with God in the same way: I definitely have a scratch track, which is to say, I am the scratch track, but by the end of God working with me and creating in me, I'm nothing like I was when I started. It's growth!!! Sometimes its in leaps and bounds, and sometimes I just need to listen again to the rhythm section for a foundation. I have wiggle room to make a mistake, just as long as I realize that I'm not producing the final product, and I ultimately want to submit to the producer who has better knowledge about the industry(Life).

Sorry for the weird metaphor, but I spent some time this morning in the studio and it always energizes me and gets me thinking about the work God's doing in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment