Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dreaming...The Post Political Church...How sweet that could be

I hope you have your own set of beliefs. More importantly I hope you know why you believe what you believe. This is not a post about what I believe or what I think you should believe, because that would be shortsighted and judgmental at the very least. More importantly, I think the diversity of our beliefs allows us to really dig in and be aware of what's going on all around us.

I want to chat a bit about politics, more importantly, the lack thereof. I grew up in a very conservative, white, republican church, and no matter what I believe I need to realize that my beliefs are based on my own cultural biases that stem from the environment I was around for a huge part of my life. I think we all need to realize that our beliefs are based on our own personal biases, and that we shouldn't be ashamed of that, but if we realize that we should also be open to different beliefs than our own on our quest for growth and truth.

I am now a professed moderate because I can see validity on both sides of the aisle, more importantly though, does it matter? I mean the church for the most part has taken on the role of major political player in the American landscape, and I don't think that this was ever our calling(Again I could be worng!). We have certain denominations that lean towards the right(See Baptist, E. Free, Christian Church, and other evangelical denoms.) and we have certain denominations that lean toward the left(Episcopalian, PCUSA, Anglican, etc...).

My worry is that these supposed agents of unity under the cross of Christ, are arguing more with each other than spending time on impacting the world we live in. I didn't see God really relating to the different flavors of religious leaders in His day, I saw him caring for the sick, hanging out with tax collectors and prostitutes, and more importantly, I saw Him truly trying to reconcile the world He was a part of. It was profound and perfect!!!

I think that we, as the church in America, are becoming less relevant because people perceive us as judgmental jokes. I think it's about time we stopped trying to be the political power in this country and instead addressed the culture the way that Jesus did. He was aware of the culture He was a part of, He related to that culture and more importantly, He transcended culture.

You can easily have your beliefs, and you can openly share them, but please, PLEASE, let's try to work together and do what Jesus commanded us to do: Love Him and love others!!! Help the poor, take care of the sick, immerse ourselves in the culture so we can truly empathize and love!!! Don't fear culture! After all, I have no idea how many times I've been told not to conform to this world because its evil, and my response lately has been, "Well, then how do you expect me to love God and love other people then? It's not a sin to relate to people, it's a sin to be holier than thou, or judgmental."

The Post Political church is a place where we do have our own beliefs, but we humbly realize that there is truth everywhere in God's Kingdom. It stops pushing an agenda, and starts loving a desperate world. That's a movement I could get behind, and that's a movement that people will feel loved by. Left, right-who cares? Are you loving people and are you seeking after Him? Just because you believe something different than me, doesn't make you retarded, moreover, I'd suggest it makes you someone I need to chat with so that maybe I can learn more about this world!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me by your example that not all brands of Christianity are akin to the conservative, white, republican church I grew up in. In fact this post political church sounds pretty tolerable even to a non believer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, it still boils down to, love others as you'd want to be loved. Love! There are times that I have questioned my blending in with culture, and then remembered Jesus turning water into wine, at a wedding. If He didn't want anyone to celebrate, and have fun, He might have done something totally different. Of course that thought doesn't cover any/all issues. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thought D. Michelle, I must say knowing you as a friend, your beliefs are quite amazing, and more loving than most. You guys rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with all of this. I'm so sick of being judged by other Christians for the music I listen to (it may not have any bad lyrics but it's not "Christian" so it's "not of God"-- ridiculous!), and I'm sick of seeing good people hurt by the church for similar reasons. We aren't God. Let God do the judging. Let's all just do our best to live out that love He gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think we need to approach people in a different way than we've been traditionally taught. So many churches, from my own experience, shut out those that are different. I remember a time when my husband was in the Marine Corps and we were trying to find a church in NC. We visited a Southern Baptist church and that day they preached "you are going to hell if you smoke or drink." That was the last time we went since, at the time, my husband was a smoker. We were discouraged and pulled away from the church which then years later realized through a difficult point in our marriage, that we were starved of our spiritual food as a result. We felt rejected, so we pulled away.

    With the political aspect, I struggle with this. I'm very anti anti left. Primarily because when we look at Jesus, we DO see him reaching out to the sinners, but we also see Him telling the prostitute to turn from her sin. I have a very difficult time understanding how a Christian can support a movement that has some very fundamental issues backward. The abortion issue is one. I think that our political lives should reflect Jesus as well. Ultimately, when I examine a situation, I try my best to think "is this glorifying to God? Is it totally opposite of glorification to the point where it goes completely against His word and His heart?"

    The poster earlier who mentioned music, that's how I approach it. There is nothing wrong with "secular" music. Whatever we do, it is about where our hearts are in the matter and whether it glorifies God. Just because a song doesn't come out and glorify Him, doesn't mean it's bad. Now if we're talking about a song that would be "anti Word of God," I'd say we'd need to examine why we are listening. For those that speak out against you for not only listening to Christian music, is silly. I truly believe music, as a whole, has a large potential to change our lives and some of that music may not be labeled "Christian."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Chrisi!!! Two thoughts:

    First, I definitely have my own opinions and political leanings, but I would say about anyone on the right viewing the left and vice versa, there is truth in the junk-haha. Politics after all is politics!!! My issue is not abortion, my issue is what are we doing to prevent it from happening.

    No one is truly PRO ABORTION-no one says I want to have an abortion, but as a member of the Kingdom what do I do? I think we as Christians spend far too much time picketing abortion clinics, instead of investing our resources and time in solving the problem. Why are we not befriending the woman who feels like there is no other option? How are we helping her financially and counselling wise to make it full term and have her baby? How are we helping in the adoption process? We spend a lot of money on things as the church, but one thing I never see us spending money on is funding to help counsel women through abortive thoughts, and helping them pay for medical visits as well as adoption process fees, as well as counselling after they give up their baby to another family.


    Second thought:
    Both sides have huge issues political. We can't judge someone for what they believe, that's eclesial racism. I tend to agree with a more conservative view on some things, but I think there is valid truth coming from the other side. I choose to be a Christ follower, which I know you do too, and whats beautiful about that is that we can have differing views, but we can work together to advance the Kingdom, that's the love that Jesus lived.

    Loving people can take on many different shapes and sizes, but the love of Christ isn't exclusionary, You are right Chrisi, the heart matters:)

    Great thoughts, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading this, all I can think about is how much I miss our conversations. And you.

    One day, friend. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Travis, I totally agree with you. More needs to be done than simply to focus on the issue title....but we need to provide solutions and love. I again agree with the problems that exist on both sides politically. With that said, I'm a huge Glenn Beck fan. lol

    But, you are right. We need to reach people's hearts by showing the love that Christ did....for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chrisi, haha, Glenn Beck is nothing to be ashamed of my friend, just like many political analysts, he has great thoughts on our country:) Perfect point on love friend, we MUST love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth I miss our conversations too friend;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, again. Seriously, if all the politicians had this same view, we would be a MUCH better country. And in time, a MUCH better world. I am so please to see that people actually regonize the fact that we as humans are different, were raised differently, in different times and different cultures, therefor, we believe different things. And more importantly, we should not be ashamed of what we believe as long as we are aware of why we believe.
    I applaud you on your words about abortion. Its more about what the country and gov't is doing to prevent them from happening and less about terrorizing the people that go to the clinics. That solves nothing.... except to paint a worse picture of the groups that are there protesting. I don't think that they are showing that God loves us all, even the sinners.
    Seriously, so glad you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin, Thanks for reading and joining in the conversation. As always I love your intellect and I love what your thoughts bring to the table-You are wonderful friend;)

    ReplyDelete