Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Theology of Coldplay...

"When you're too in love to let it go
If you never try you'll never know
Just what your worth."-Coldplay-

I think, ultimately, we all struggle with what love should look like and it brings our insecurities to the forefront of our day to day lives. So instead of learning how to love, we shy away from it and let self-preservation and fear control how we live our lives.

Love can't be defined, because it's truly different for everybody, but that's no reason to be afraid of it. We've all been hurt by love in a myriad of different ways. Whether it be unrequited love, where you put your heart out there and the feeling isn't returned, or its the loss of someone you've loved your entire life as a family member, friend or lover:) Love can be painful, but isn't that proof that you have truly loved?

I remember being heartbroken over a relationship years ago and my first thought was to give up on chasing after an idea that would ultimately lead to hurt, but had I not I would have missed out on some of the greatest loves of my life. My wife, my friends that I dearly and deeply love, my nieces, my sister in law, music, the church, and most importantly the God that puts Himself out there millions of times a day only to be shunned. He may be perfect, but He also can relate to us intimately because he knows what it means to be unloved.

At some point we get into a life changing relationship(Most of us), and what do we do when we get there? We bring in the old garbage that jaded us in the first place and we make life miserable for the ones we love. I learned a long time ago, that I can't fix who someone is, but I can choose to love them, and if I truly love them for who they are, then why am I trying to mold them into something that pleases me. I love the church-PASSIONATELY, but it's not my job to fix all the pathologies that come with a corrupt, fallible institution, but what I can do is love people, and I have a reference point.

I look at how Jesus lived his life, and I can see a glimpse of who God is and what He's calling to do when it comes to love. In Jesus' generosity and compassion, that's what God's like. In His mercy and wisdom, that's what God's like. In His genuine love for people-that's what God's like, and that's who I want to be like. I know I can't be, but I can sure try. God didn't try to fix people, and I know that sounds wrong, but God loved them and healed them, and that love was life altering and it affected them in a very real, profound way.

Let's stop trying to fix people and start out by just loving them right where they are at. Let's go back to the beginnings of the movement that birthed the church. We've made things so complicated by overthinking the simple act of loving people. Let's start over friends, and create something beautiful:) I want to close with another Coldplay quote from the "Scientist"


"Nobody said it was easy
Its such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard
Let's take it back to the start" -Coldplay-

No comments:

Post a Comment